UFC releases former flyweight champion Nicco Montano

MMA Fighting

Products You May Like

Former UFC flyweight champion Nicco Montano was let go by the promotion after missing weight for a bantamweight fight with Wu Yanan on July 31, multiple people with knowledge of the news told MMA Fighting.

Montano (4-3) came in over the bantamweight limit by seven pounds this past weekend in Las Vegas. The fight was ultimately pulled from the lineup, capping off her troubled four-year run for the fighter in the company.

A former King of the Cage flyweight champion, Montano became UFC’s first 125-pound beltholder by defeating Roxanne Modafferi in The Ultimate Fighter 27 final in 2017, but was then stripped after being hospitalized due to a bad weight cut ahead of her first title defense against Valentina Shevchenko.

Montano moved up to bantamweight and returned to action almost a year later, losing a decision to Julianna Pena. Montano had multiple fights cancelled since then, withdrawing from matches with Macy Chiasson, Julia Avila (twice), Karol Rosa, and Yanan.

Montano released a statement on social media following her latest weight miss, stating “I’m learning that it’s only making me stronger and more resilient for what’s to come.”

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

UFC’s Dana White SHOCKS MMA Community at UFC 327 Event, Josh Hokit BECOMES superstar, Carlos Ulberg
Ian Machado Garry is looking taller than Islam Makhachev #ufc330
Islam Makhachev REACTS to UFC 330 win over Ian Machado Garry – MMA Fighting
Dana White PRESSURED to book Jon Jones at UFC White House, Israel Adesanya RETURNS, Leon Edwards
‘Justin Gaethje’ most violent UFC fighter, says Edson Barboza – MMA Fighting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *